Monday, September 10, 2012

Book reading #1: Design of Everyday Thing (Chaps)

Reaction to first chap:
It opens the door for me in the area of design. It gives a solid idea how to design simple things with multiple criteria  These criteria include two main principles, such as good conceptual model and make things visible. This is mentioned in first chapter with great explanation to them. The conceptual model is mental simulation of a device's operation. And make things visible means interface must have visible features, inferring the right messages to people. He give a good example for poor visibility, the glass door. He mentioned about how his friend is trapped inside a glass door because there is no sign or clue how to use it. This example showed how important visibility is in the real world.
In the market, there are many poor design of any thing. As a engineer, I think about my future jobs when I was reading this paper. I feel like I should simulate my product on the customer's side of view. This will be helpful for create any thing in the future.

Reaction to Chap2:
The author introduce 7 stages of action which are forming the goal, forming the intention, specifying an action, executing the action, perceving the state of the world, interpreting the state of world, and evaluating the outcome. These seven states help for checking if gulfs of execution and evaluation are bridged. I am really how he explains Aristotle's naive physics. He said this is our naive way of explaining the phenonmenon we witness in everyday life. And there is one more important point that I agree with him, which is spiral of silence. I believe people do these really often on daily life.

Reaction to Chap3:
This chapter talks about memory is in knowledge in the head and the world. The most interesting thing I got out of this chapter is the four reasons that we can complete a task without precise knowledge to it. The reasons are information in the world that we get touch with, great precision not required, natural constraint, and cultural constraint. This explain why sometime people can complete some task that they never done before. The reasons behind this kind of task is what really get me interest in it.

Reaction to Chap4:
This chapter talks about how constraint makes a good design. I really agree to what the author states that people normally can't choose when there is more than one option. He uses build a Lego motorcycle as an example to illustrate the idea. He mentioned constraints includes physical, semantic, cultural, and logical. To conclude, a good design should have good constraints to limit how can a person to operate it.

Reaction to Chap5:
This chapter is mainly about how to design a product with minized error and able to correct them right away. He introduce many kinds of errors, such as capture, description, data driven, associative activation, loss of activation, and mode errors. As a programmer, error detecting is one of the main function we have to write about. This chapter reinforce how important this is to me once again.

Reaction to Chap6:
This chapter describes the process of design. He describe a good design should be tested, found the problem, and modified the design. And this kind of process should be repeat until out of resource. However, there are some people that have two kind of problems, and I did meet some of this kind of people. It was really not a good experience when we have time constraint to our project. So back on track, the two kind temptations are creeping featurism and make it complex just because it looks cool. These two problem can really cost problem to occur, and no one wants it!

Reaction to Chap7:
This chapter basically summarize the whole book which is about user center design. It reinforce the idea that we are designing something that users need to easily understand and to use. In my point of view, I do think this is very easy to talk about. However, it actually is really hard to design. I agree an idea that it talks about, which is simplify the structure of tasks. It basically is saying that we should use technology to make something invisible(parts that we don't want users to see) and visible(parts that users need to operate with). And I do think this is what technology is for, so I give a plus to this idea.







3 comments:

  1. I like your point in your chapter 7 reaction, that designing good objects is easier said than done. Overall good chapter reactions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point in chapter 4 reaction, it gave some good insight to the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice chapter reactions. I liked being able to relate to you about chapter 5. Being able to relate that to programming specifically I liked. The examples you gave in your other posts were well written and I agreed with you on most of the good designs. The buttoned mouse was something I had initially thought as well.

    ReplyDelete