Monday, September 17, 2012

Book reading #1: Design of Everyday Things(Book) with examples

Reaction to the book:

This book opens a new world of design to me in many ways. I think maybe the ideas are outdated when I first saw this book. Instead, I do think I can apply what I read in this book into my project and work. I do enjoy reading books that are not outdated even after 30 or more years. This really mean something to me, because I think the author does have a really good view of how future will look and how current is. 

This books starts about how we should design some very simple thing in daily life. It give an example about how door can be separate into good and bad design. That's when I really gets into this book, because I was thinking doors are doors that it can't be better. However, I am absolutely wrong about this. He mentioned that a bad door can trap people inside it. I was surprised about this example, and I do think some doors are complicated than what it should be. This is just a starting of this book, it has many different parts to it. 

One concept mentioned in this book that I really agree on is mapping. It basically means the number of controls should match the number of functions of the product. I have always get confuse by some product that one control unit has multiple functions to it. It will alternate the function depends on how we interact with it. I think this kind of product is hard to use, because of the limited memory in our brain. And there is one more concept that I love which is constraints. I think Apple's magic mouse is a bad designed product in my own opinion. This is because the is not much constraints to it. It actually did amazed me at first, but after a while, I think there is not enough constraints to each option. 

Overall, this book in my opinion is very good to read and to think about while you read. I like the ideas that it presents and how it presents it. 

Bad Examples:

Watch

This watch I found a problem with actually is occur in all watches. This problem maybe bother to everyone else, but in my view that it is a problem. When we try to tie the watch to the smallest hole, there is always a gap between the watch bands. 
I think this is lack of constraints, since it will not have the gap between the watch bands when we choose other holes. As you can see, there is a huge gap when it's plug into the smallest hole. This maybe not be any function problem, but to me it's a vision problem. It's really to fix this problem, the designers can make the other side of watch band to be longer. 

Lotion bottle

This bottle is lack of constraints since the opening is no other assisment to it. The lotion in this bottle is liquid, not like normal lotion. The problem with that is when people try to pour the lotion out, the water will flow out of control. There is one way to fix this problem, designer can put a soft cap allow users to push for more lotion. It has actually good mapping because when I try to close the cap, it will squeeze all the way down. It has high quality feedback, since the cap will indicate if the bottle is closed or not. However, the problem I mentioned is a huge problem;therefore, this is not a good design.

Commercial Poster

It's lack of constraints that it doesn't have any instruction for how to close it. As in the picture show above, the poster actually can form a square. However, the crease of the paper indicate close the paper inward. This would cost some problem that if people try to continue to close one by one. This is the problem of incorrect conceptual model. This folding would cost time to refold it. The designer can design it into a Z shape folding, in that way, its visibility is increase. Overall, the design is not good enough. 

Hole Puncher

It's lack of constraints that it doesn't indicate number of fingers or hand to operate it. The problem is when you apply different pressure at different force point that you will have different outcome. And normally the outcome is not good. As I mentioned, the visibility is not good enough for people to know which part is easiest to operate with. The feedback is actually good in this case, the machine will click a sound after it has done its job. However, I still believe it should have some more instructions or visibility to it.

Dell mouse

It's lack of constraint because of the clickable area is too big. People does accidently press on wrong side of the mouse and delete things. The visibility is not really good as I mentioned above. Their design doesn't indicate which part user should click on. It has a incorrect conceptual model which let me think the clickable area should be only at the top of mouse. However, the clickable area is too big that we never expect that. Overall, the design is not good enough in my opinion.

Good Examples:
iPad Smart Cover 

I brought this one long time ago, and it still works fine. It has only two functions and two positions which is a perfect ratio. So the mapping is really good. It sleeps the iPad when it's flat and wakes up the iPad when it lifted up. It can form a triangle to support the iPad to stand up or tilt. Its constraints is really good that people will get use to it really fast. The magnets on the side will allow it to stick to iPad and pull off when we dont need it. Overall, I think this design is perfectly designed, simple to use.

Microsoft mouse

It has four buttons and 4 functions which is perfect ratio. It's design to be easily used. It will automatically install the software when we plug in the usb, in that way we can use it right away. Many constraints to this product, such as only right handed, finger rest area, and thumb area. It's all really clear and visible to the users. Overall, this product is well designed. 

Stapler

It only one function and two area to operate with. It's reasonable ratio. It has a thumb press down area that's designed for users. Its constraints is when you push all the way down, that it will have a little click sound. The conceptual mode is correct as what I think as it is, which its only operation is push down to staple papers. Overall, it's a great design and I enjoyed using it.

iPhone 3GS

It has five buttons and 6 or 7 functions to it. It's a good ratio. It has not much constraints to it, but few good ones. Its size is reasonable for one hand to hold. But the buttons are designed for people to easily to press when they hold it in hand. This doesn't matter if you hold it in right hand or left hand. The visibility is very good that we know how we should holding the device. Overall, this device is a good design.

Power gear

The most useful tool for cutting branches of a tree. There are constraints that help people to hold and operate with. The hand grip at the end of handle visibly indicates the hand position. Also the visibility is good for the scissor on top. The curved shape and short length indicates the functionality of the device, which is for strong and small branches of a tree. The conceptual model is really good since the device show a correct conceptual to me when I first look at this device. Overall, the design of this device is really good.

15 comments:

  1. I like how you included two different versions of the mouse in your good/bad design examples. It clearly shows that there are good ways to design the same product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you regarding the iPad cover. It is very simple and close to impossible to misuse. You open the cover, the iPad turns on. You close the cover, the iPad turns off. It even has convenient magnets so you don't have to worry about a string or strap to keep the cover closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good explanations and use of the terms, "visibility, constraints..." I definitely agree with the stapler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice examples. The summary was well done too. I agree that one of the big takeaways from the book is mapping. The smart cover was a nice choice of good design
    (I don't know how to publish this comment though because the "Publish" and "Cancel" buttons appear to be in a different language. Gonna guess the right button ha:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with bethany that you used the terms really well and gave good explanations. I do not own an ipad, but I do agree with the ipad cover being designed well. Every time I see someone with one, it surprises me how something so simple can be so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad the book interested and inspired you despite its dated examples. His discussion on constraints especially seems have influenced much of your observations on good and bad designs. On some of the chapter reactions you gave more of a summary rather than an evaluation; otherwise, your blog was interesting to read. Thanks for posting your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your stapler and microsoft mouse examples. I definitely prefer one of the game brands when it comes to mouse and keyboard sets. I have a mouse simliar to that one and it feels so much easier to use as opposed to a cheaper one that feels light and plastic-y. I also think you're spot on with the mini stapler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your explanations on what you got out of the book. Having it change your mind about the functionality of doors, for example, or showing you the importance of mapping in design are clear, definitive things that the book helped you realize, which I think is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well thought out examples. I liked the example of the lotion, I have had similar problems with salad dressing in the past, and can understand having something flow out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also like those microsoft mice, they're fairly comfortable and portable. Being able to store the USB wireless receiver inside the mouse is a great design.

    Great examples

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job with the overall reaction. I really like the way you mentioned that it meant something to you. I also found the book very relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great examples. I especially liked the stapler. Never thought about it before, but it really can't be misused.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good examples, I would disagree with some of the examples you stated as bad design (like the Dell mouse) but I like how you focused on everyday things for your examples to showcase that the book is as relevant not as it was 30 years ago. Also as a side note, I would not have been able to figure out what some buttons on your blog meant, If I didn't train up significant muscle memory from reading the other blogs, english buttons would be a huge help :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good examples! I like your example of Power gear, it is really a good design with the use of mechanics principle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great examples! They depict good and bad designs very well. I also find it annoying when lotion that really is a liquid comes in a bottle like that. It is clear you really thought about these. Also I had to guess which of these buttons was the publish button since it is in Mandarin.

    ReplyDelete